Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Driving



I will always remember the anniversary of the day I got my driver's license. It is the day after my youngest brother's birthday.

The 1976 Grand LeMans Safari Wagon
She served me long and well.
I was scheduled to take my driving test on February 12th, 1986, but, on February 11th when I arrived home from play practice, my mom informed me that she was in labor, most likely, and that she probably wouldn't be able to take me. Looking back, I am sure that she thought I was mad at her, but really I was not. I was excited that the baby was FINALLY coming, but still, disappointed that I would have to wait to get my license. Mom suggested that I call my Aunt Sharon, who, though she could not take me on the 12th, could take me the next day. And, thankfully, the testing station at Delaware was willing to move the date for me. They were SO nice.

The Mighty Duster
Save for the sporty pinstriping on the side,
this is what she looked like.
I drove with my aunt to Delaware from Columbus in my parents' 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari Wagon. If you have never seen one of these, it is huge. So big that it comes with it's own zip code and area code. When the test administrator came out to get in the car she said, "Honey, are you sure you want to take manuverability in that thing?" I told her that my other choice was a 1969 Plymouth Duster with no power steering. She agreed that this might be the better choice. I passed the test with an almost perfect score. (I pulled too far forward to see around a corner.) and I had my license!!

Aunt Sharon took me to Friendly's to celebrate. I was so happy.

But nothing in the world was more sweet than being able to take my brother over to the hospital (all by myself) to see our new baby brother (at that time, children under 14 were absolutely not allowed in the hospital to visit, so my other brother and sister had to stay home). Weighing in at 12 lbs. 3 ozs. and 26.5" long, he was twice the size of some of the babies in the nursery and he was beautiful. And, I must say, after seeing him just last night...he still is!

But when I told my kids that tomorrow was the 22nd anniversary of getting my driver's license, they were, like, "So?"...I guess they just don't get the excitement of being behind the wheel and being in control of what you are doing and where you are going. In time, they will come to understand. It's like being the president of your own little country. You're in control of communications and media ("I pick the radio station"), you are in charge of laws ("Don't eat in my car and don't kick the seat.") and you are in charge of justice ("Do that again and you are walking home, kid."). Heck, when you drive a 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari Wagon and it really is your own little country.

I wonder if I get a UN delegate with that car?

No comments:

Post a Comment