Wednesday, December 24, 2008

You are here.


I have a tendency to live outside the moment when I am stressed out. I "borrow trouble" and play the "what if" game, or, even better, the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" game.

Recently, when I was getting carried away by stress and over-activity, my husband shared the following thought with me:

"Every now and then, I bend down and touch the ground and say, 'I am right here, right now.' "

I looked at him like he was crazy. But you know what? It helps to remember that there is nothing your can do to change the past. It has passed. There is no point in worrying about the future. It is not always in our control. All we can do is live in the present and make the best decisions we can make.

So, today, with only one or two of my (giant) list of Christmas presents bought (and none wrapped), a to-do list as long as your arm at work, rain pouring from the sky just in time for the morning commute, and 9 masses in the next 5 days, I am touching the ground and saying, "I am right here, right now." And somehow, I'll get through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment