Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sleep


This morning one of my friends updated her Facebook status to "I take back all the times I didn't want to nap when I was young." I am SO there. I was so there, that I changed my status to "What is it about the rain that makes me want to stay under the blankets and not come out until the sun does?"

I could barely get out of bed this morning. It was so nice and cozy under the blankets. Every time I sat down on the bed to put on my shoes, or pants, or socks, I had to fight the urge to lay back and rest. It was a delicious feeling, but frustrating at the same time. After all, I have things to do...but OH that bed felt cozy!

So, of course, these posts led to a discussion about sleep and how it affects us as adults. When a kid doesn't get a nap, they are always really difficult. Is it the same with adults? The consensus of our friends is: Yes. And we are pretty sure that there would be world peace if everyone was required to take a nap and have a mid-afternoon snack.

In fact, I am pretty sure that health care costs would go down, too. Imagine if the stress level dropped, how many fewer strokes and heart attacks we'd have. In addition, a better rested population of workers would make fewer mistakes and fewer accidents would happen.

I think this is a plan. So, how about it, Mr. President? Maybe tier 1 of the Healthcare reform should be a mandatory nap time.

Now, about my cup of coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment