Friday, April 6, 2012

Eram Quasi Agnus




Each year I listen to these beautiful reflections on the Lord's passion.  Written by Tomas Luis de Victoria, a priest of the Diocese of Avila in the Renaissance, they use beautiful poetry and musical painting like no other to tell the tale of Christ crucified.

"Eram Quasi Agnus" is my favorite one.  If you listen to the second section of the piece, you will hear these words in Latin, "Come, let us put wood into his bread and eradicate him from the land of the living."  Notice how each voice enters quietly and one at a time, like people gathering into a crowd surreptitiously.  By the end of the section, their voices are like a tidal wave gathering together in bold, homophonic chords, just as the crowds would have shouted , "Crucify Him!".  It makes me weep every time.

This version is done by Harry Christopher's The Sixteen.  Here is a translation that I found:


I was like a lamb, innocent,
I was led forth to be sacrificed, and knew it not. My enemies conspired against me, saying:
Come, let us put wood into his bread, and eradicate him from the land of the living."
All my enemies contrived mischief against me, they uttered evil speech against me, saying:
Come, let us put wood into his bread, and eradicate him from the land of the living."

A Blessed Paschal Triduum to all of you.  I will remember you in my prayers today, please remember me in yours.

1 comment: