Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Faith and Trust



In the Disney version of "Peter Pan", when Peter is teaching the children to fly, he gets discouraged because they can't fly and says, "What's the matter with you?  All it takes is faith and trust...Oh! and something I forgot:  Dust!  Just a little bit of pixie dust."  

This weekend, we celebrate the relatively new Feast of Divine Mercy, and faith and trust are a big part of the message of Divine Mercy.  No other "things" are needed for Jesus' mercy to come into our lives and transform them; no dust or pixies required.  

All Jesus asks of us is that we trust Him, believe that He died for our sins and can (and will) wash them away in the waters of Baptism, clothe us in His mercy in the sacrament of Penance, and feed us through the sacrament of the Eucharist.  What better care could we have than to be cleaned, clothed and fed with such riches and by the King of Kings, no less?

So when I am faced with problems (like I am today), I need only remember the message of the image of Divine Mercy, "Jesus, I trust in You!" Whether the problems are resolved the way that I, (in my infinite wisdom) would solve them, or not, I know that this is God's plan for my life and I must follow that path wherever it leads me.

1 comment: