Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Patron Saint for 2013

Oh yes, I am laughing.

I used Jennifer Fulwiler's nice little saint's name generator to find a patron saint for the year and as I got ready to make that final click, I began to think about all we have ahead of this us this year: A new grandchild, possibly a wedding, a new project teaching music to children.  Suddenly, I was filled with a thrill of anxiety over all these things as I clicked on the last button.

Oh yes, it's true: St. Gerard Majella is my patron saint for 2013.  His feast day is October 16th.

From Wikipedia:
(April 6, 1726 – October 16, 1755)  He is the saint whose intercession is requested for children (and unborn children in particular), childbirth, mothers (and expectant mothers in particular), motherhood, falsely accused people, good confessions, lay brothers and Muro LucanoItaly.

St. Gerard and I go way back, though.  My daughter is currently wearing the medal I was given while I carried her 18 years ago.  My parish used to give a blessing to all the expectant mothers and those wishing to conceive, quarterly. Each expectant mother was blessed, sprinkled with holy water and given a holy card and medal. I was just barely pregnant with my daughter when I received my medal and I wore it almost daily.

This year, it will be my daughter's turn to be the expectant mother receiving blessings, but I can certainly use the help with good confessions and motherhood.  After all, just because your children are grown doesn't mean they stop being your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment