Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What does this mean?

I am a Catholic church musician. I always threatened to write a book about my life story, and this is the venue that presented itself.

The backs of people's heads and baby faces are virtually all you see from a choir loft. I can keep myself entertained for hours watching all the babies and trying to figure out who is attached to the front of that head.

One day, while I was doing a particularly long stint at mass, I spotted my nephew below me. He was an exceptionally cute baby. He was laying across his mom's lap looking up at the ceiling (or whatever) and caught sight of me. In true "auntly" fashion I commenced to making faces at the baby who obliged with giggles and smiles. My friend, an inveterate baby lover, joined in, too.

I guess it never occurred to me that while all I can see are the backs of people's heads, Father can see all the fronts (including ours). I guess we were quite a distraction. Needless to say, we heard about it.

Another thing about standing above and in back, is that you can observe "mob" characteristics among the faithful. Not like pitchforks and "tar and feathers" or anything...no, more like evertime a child gets fussy, you can tell who the Mommies are. They rock gently back and forth, whether they are holding a child or not. Another thing you can observe is how good the homily is. Watch for the nodding, drooping heads. If a missionary strikes a chord you will know by the speed at which every woman reaches for her purse for the collection. Usually, they have that check filled out before the end of the Homily.

I suppose you are wondering what this blog is going to be about, ultimately. Well...I don't know. I'll just have to wait and see what comes up for me to write about. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you have a title so get started, in your spare time.;)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete