Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Atlantic City: Part 1


It's been a while since I posted anything, but this one had to be posted.

I just returned from Atlantic City where I took a field trip with my company. As pipe organ builders, what could be more intriguing than the World's Largest Pipe Organ? And that's what we went to see. The organ is 7 manuals and 449 ranks. To put this into perspective for you, the largest pipe organ I have ever worked on is 4 manuals and 57 ranks. This thing is enormous.

On the tour we were allowed access to the chambers of the organ (at least on the bottom levels) where we could see the inner-workings for the pipe organ. Being "organ nerds" we all embraced the opportunity.

At one point we went on to the stage to see the console (which is pictured above) and I got to stand right where Miss America was crowned for 85 years. The scope of the building is awe inspiring.

After we had satisfied ourselves with the console, we went on up to the chamber where the 64' Diapason is. That's right, the lowest note is 64' tall. We took pictures of ourselves with the pipes, but unless you know what you're looking at, it makes not sense. So, I will use this historical photograph to show you how big they are. Those are full-grown men, not munchkins!


This was taken before any of the rest of the pipes and chest had been installed. I imagine it's the only way they could get these monsters in!

I have so much more to tell about my trip, but for now it will have to wait. Suffice to say: WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment