Thursday, April 9, 2009

Atlantic City: Part 2

The other thing about this trip to Atlantic City was the fact that this is the first time I have seen the ocean. I think I may have been more excited about the ocean than I was about the pipe organ we went to see.

And it was even better than I had imagined. I could see the ocean from my window and spent 20 solid minutes watching the waves when we got to our room while I waited (patiently) for my roommate to be ready to go to the beach. My roommate thought this was hilarious. Finally, it was time to go and we headed out to the Boardwalk and the beach.

The ocean is an awesome thing. It is more huge than I could have imagined. The sound of the surf blocks or blunts all other sounds. It makes everything sound muted or sotto voce. I stood and watched the waves for about 20 minutes and probably would have stayed longer if the group hadn't wanted to move on.

I swear the ocean called to me. I wanted to get into the path of the waves just once, to jump in and feel it. But, my mother's voice kept shouting from the back of my head, "It's freezing out there! Don't you dare!" and, "While you're at it, button up that coat, young lady." The last instruction I disregarded, but I heeded the first and did not jump into the ocean.

The second day, I woke up at 4:00 in the morning. I lay there for an hour thinking I would go back to sleep for an hour or even two, but I did not. So, relenting, I got up and got ready for the day. I left a note for my roommate to call me when he was up and slipped out to the beach. I stopped along the way for some White Chocolate Mocha to take the chill off (which was a good investment) and headed out to the sand dunes and the rising sun.

As I was standing there listening to the wind blow through the sea grass, and the waves crashing on the shore, watching the sunrise over the ocean and the beach, I realized that I was really here. I felt a sigh well up inside me like I have only felt when I come home and lay down in my bed after a long day. God's creation is so marvelous!

I went hunting for some shells to bring home to the kids, after that. The tide was receding, but you could still find pools of water on the beach where the water had been just a few hours before. They kept refilling when ever a wave would creep up to the edge and spill in. It was in watching this routine that I came into contact with the ocean. I was standing watching and suddenly, I realized that the wave was going to come all the way up to me. I moved, but not fast enough and the wave soaked my right shoe. It was freezing. When the wave began to recede, I reached down and put my hand in the water. It really does feel different to the touch. I wouldn't have believed that, but it's true.

So that was my big date with the ocean. I am so glad I went. The drive was long, but worth every minute and I can't wait to go back with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment