Friday, July 3, 2009

AGO Convention - Detroit, MI

This past week I went on a trip to Detroit for the Region V Convention of the American Guild of Organists. It was technically a business trip, but I really love business trips, so it was kind of a joy for me. Everyone at the office was too busy with the Skinner restoration that we're working on to go, so they sent me. I traveled with a friend, a real organist, and while I am but a lowly choir director, I still got a lot out of the trip. (And, yes, I still did my job!)



We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Center right on the Detroit River. We were on the 52nd floor overlooking the city, the river, Lake St. Claire and Windsor, ON. The view was amazing, day or night.

I really enjoyed all the concerts on organ and carillon. I can't even describe the feeling that you get when someone who knows what they're doing plays pieces that you've heard many times before. The energy is amazing! It is electrifying! It left me feeling uplifted and very inferior at the same time. The churches and the organs themselves were breathtaking, too.


It was great to meet new people and enjoy their company. My thanks to Dr. Joseph D. Daniel and his committee for such an amazing week. I think that they were putting in 18-20 hour days to make sure that everything ran smoothly.

In two years it will be in Lexington, KY. I really hope that everyone is too busy to go in 2011, so they have to send me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment