Thursday, December 19, 2013

#SmallSuccess Thursday - Small Steps Are Still Progress




I actually had to ask my husband and mother what my small successes were this week.
It's been that kind of week.

Michael: "Well, you hung up the Christmas Cards..."
Me: "Honey, you did that."
Michael: "But I couldn't have done it without your support." (pats me on the knee)
Me: "Hmmmm...." I am unconvinced. Our Christmas tree is still in boxes in the hallway.

Mom chimes in:
"You figured out how to get your sound files downloaded to the computer from your digital recorder."
Me: "Well, only halfway. I still can't edit and save them. But, I think that's a software problem, not a problem with me."
Mom: "It's still one step in the right direction."

And, of course, Mom is right.

It's easy, especially at the holidays to look at the list of things I need to get done and worry about all the gifts that still need to be bought, the tree that still needs to be put up (I think this is an annual problem,) and the rehearsals that just aren't falling together. I get all caught up in the things I didn't get done and I miss all the things I did accomplish. But, that's what Small Successes is all about. It's realizing that I am actually moving forward, perhaps slowly, but still in the right direction.

So here goes:

My Well-Begun-is-Half-Done List of Small Successes

  1. I did, indeed, figure out how to transfer my recorded tracks to the computer.
  2. I made an Amazon wish list of all the books I'm going to need for next semester (and it's going to save me a bundle.)
  3. I helped get the last of my daughter's wedding thank you notes addressed.
There you go. Short and sweet and halfway to where I need to be, but I'm not going to talk about what I've left undone. These small steps are better than getting nothing done at all. 
And I do feel much better, thank you.

So, what are your small successes this week?  Feel free to share them in the combox or add it to the CatholicMom.com link-up.


1 comment:

  1. Glad I am not the only one who had to think hard about my successes...

    ReplyDelete