Thursday, June 12, 2014

Music, Naptime and Prayer by Association

My grandson has a habit of listening to music as he sleeps.

When he was very small, he used to listen to Enya's "Shepherd Moons" album. If you don't know the magic that is this album and you're a mom, you need to learn about it.  My daughter posted pictures of her living room one day during naptime - everyone was asleep - cats, teenagers, daddy, and the baby  Her caption? "Enya means naptime for all species."
Mercury is sacked out. Again.

True story.

But, eventually her little prince could outlast the soothing tones of the Irish chanteuse and so my daughter had to up the ante. She brought out the big guns: The Benedictines of Mary (Ephesus, Mo.). His favorite night-night album is "Angels and Saints at Ephesus". I have to concur. He's a smart lad, that one. I reviewed it here and I have to say, it's my favorite of the three they've released.

So, now the album plays on repeat for about 2-3 hours during the day and all night. I can hear it now as I am writing. And even though I am not paying attention to the words, the peace of the prayer that the nuns are singing seeps into my sub-conscious and makes things, well...better.

Life is stressful. It's complex and challenging. Surrounding yourself with prayer, even by association, helps to combat that tension. I am sure there are real reasons why this works. I am not a music therapist and couldn't tell you for certain. But I suspect it's the subject matter and the tempo, which generally stays right between 70 - 90 beats per minute (right around the speed of a heartbeat). And, of course, it's beautiful.

To hear samples from this album and/or buy it, click here. I don't think you'll be sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment