Friday, February 27, 2015

Gratitude - The Antidote to Attitude

One of the big pushes I have seen around the interwebs is the grateful hashtag and I have participated off and on over the past couple of years - more off than on as of late, though.

So today, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It's payday and I have a mountain of bills to catch up and I went online to pay them only to find that our debit card is inexplicably locked. I have class and work and wanted coffee with frothed milk, but my frother is missing. My daughter is trying to get her life back on track after a nasty court battle and is moving a bunch of stuff from place to place today, so naturally the weather is the usual cold (VERY cold) grey and dreary Ohio weather and I am just plain worn out.

Crabby Katie is in the house.

As I sat pondering all the ways in which the world was not cooperating with my plans for the day I logged onto Facebook to complain and the first thing I saw after posting was a #grateful post. It stopped me in my tracks.

No, things are not going the way I want them.
Yes, I have many things to be grateful for. When I started counting them, I realized that these small inconveniences were just that - small inconveniences and I began to feel much less oppressed and crabby. So, as the snow continues to fall and my day rolls out I will be remembering a few things:

1) Today is my parents' 47th Anniversary - I am grateful that they said "yes" to each other so they could say "yes" to my brothers and sister and I.

2) I get paid to do a job that I love to do -I could be mucking out stalls, but I'm not.

3) I have a beautiful family of my own who loves me - Though they try my patience sometimes, they are my reason to get up in the morning. Especially this guy:



What are you grateful for today? One small spark of gratitude can start a fire to warm a cold heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment