Wednesday, March 26, 2008

When nothing goes right

Have you ever had a day where absolutely nothing goes right? Of course you have. We all have. But, how about a WEEK where nothing seems to be going right. That would be this week.

First, I managed to forget to send copy to my pastor for the Easter program. It was not the end of the world, but he was annoyed. I reminded him that he could be annoyed, but I am not the Music Director. He pays someone else to keep track of these things. Maybe that was passing the buck, but I thought it was justified. But, yet, I still felt guilty.

Then, my daughter, heaven bless her (’cause she’s gonna need it!), decided to pierce her lip. Yes, with a safety pin. Yes, all by herself. Her father and I were livid! We told her to take it out, which she did, but then she put it back when she went to school the next day and subsequently got sent home.

By the end of that day, I discovered that I had dropped the ball on a REALLY important project at work and my boss (whom I adore) was furious at me. Frankly, he had every right to be. He was so angry that he wouldn’t even speak to me. And, all of this continued into the next day where I continued to make stupid little mistakes. And even though I was apologizing left and right, it seemed like I couldn’t make anything right. I wasn’t making excuses, just apologizing and hoping to fix the problems.

On top of all that, there was the rain. Rain, rain, rain! Oh, how I hate the rain!
It seems like even though I was trying my best, even when I was doing everything right, I still was getting kicked in the face.

I wonder if that’s how Jesus felt on Good Friday. I wonder if everytime he was whipped or everytime he fell under the weight of the cross, he wondered why. Why we would make things so hard for him? Why we would willingly turn our faces from God and make the salvation that he bought for us with his very life and all the pain he suffered before he finally died that much more painful?

Even now, the things we do, add to the weight of the cross. So this week, Holy Week, when I have a sharp retort on my lips or a lame excuse for something I forgot to do, I am remembering that each wrong I do, adds a stripe to Jesus’ back. And each right I do, helps lighten the load of the cross on his shoulders.

I don’t know if this is catechetically sound or not. It’s just a little way to show God that I love him and I am trying my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment