Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

As I sat during our prayers for Thanksgiving today, I was struck by the fact that I should be very thankful, indeed. Both my Mother and my father-in-law put in some prayers for the state of the country and the people that are suffering this holiday season. It occurred to me as I stood looking at the people surrounding me and the piles and piles of food on the table in front of us, I have been very ungrateful about a lot of things in recent weeks. But I hope to correct that, right now.

Things I am thankful for:

1. My husband and children - they are not perfect, but I love them and they love me. Warts and all.

2. Our jobs - In a world where many of our contemporaries are worrying about whether they'll survive the next layoff, we both have jobs. And we like them, to boot. How spoiled am I?

3. The gifts I have been given by God - I can write (at least reasonably well), I can sing (Pretty darned well), and I can direct music (I don't know how well or not well I do this).

4. My friends - I have so many that I cannot even list them. I was told once or twice that one only has one or two good friends in one's whole lifetime. I feel pretty blessed to say that I have many more than one or two.

5. My family - Hugging or Fighting, they are the most interesting bunch of people I know. The challenge me to think, fascinate me with their stories and insight, and I am lucky enough to have all but one of my siblings living in the same city as I do. This extends to my in-laws as well as my family of origin.

6. My Landlord - who is the most patient man in the universe. Really.

7. My current parish and my former parish - So many people. So much love. So much joy.

Yeah...I know this isn't any different than anyone else's list, probably, but I had to say it.

Will it "change the world"?
Nah, probably not.

Will it change me?
Maybe I'll be a little more grateful for the blessings that I do have, rather than complaining about the things I lack.

Thank you, Lord, for all your blessings, great and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment