Wednesday, November 26, 2008

40,328 Words


I am writing a novel,(as I announced back in October).
The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel from November 1st to November 30th.
One month+50,000 words= total insanity

I had an idea for a novel a couple of years ago and decided that this was the time to write it. The story revolves around a girl who gets a quilt that belonged to her great-great aunt and she begins to have dreams that show her that the kinds of trials she has in growing up, aren't so very different from the things her aunt endured in the early 20th Century.

I am getting close to my goal of 50,000 words, but really, it's a much longer story than 50,000 words could ever encompass. I will be filling in back story and refining details until January or February on this thing.

I don't know what possessed me to try to write on a scale as big as this. I, who have never written anything longer than a blog entry, trying to write a novel...in one month. The idea was (and is!) completely ludicrous.

But, here I am, 4 days away from the finish line and within 10,000 words of being a "winner" and I can't believe I've gotten this far. The story has flowed out of me. I can't believe how easy it was to get lost in the story and the characters. If this was all I did all day, I would have been done weeks ago. But, alas, life intervenes.

Believe me, the draft that I finish on November 30th will never, ever, see the light of day. But someday, I will get it straightened out, shaped up, and edited and maybe, by the 4th or 5th re-write, someone will publish it.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the head?
Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment